Sunday, February 1, 2009

Milk

I remember several years ago seeing "Dead Man Walking" and thinking how good Sean Penn was in that film. Seeing "Milk" tonight really cemented how good of an actor he is. He was really great in this movie. His character was dynamic and the movie was shot beautifully. You really felt as if you were in the 1970s and were right there fighting for gay rights. I had never heard of Harvey Milk or the story and I love this Oscar season for bringing back to life two great stories. When I first left the theatre I thought that this was on par with "Doubt." The more I think about the movie, the more I like. All of the movies nominated for best picture are very different. I still like "Slumdog Millionaire" a lot and I used to think I liked "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" the best but I don't know anymore. I was first going to rate "Milk" a 3 but after thinking about this for over an hour, I will give it a 3.5. I'm going to see "The Wrestler" next to compare Mickey Rourke and Sean Penn. Three more movies to see this season; "The Wrestler," "The Reader," and "Revolutionary Road."


No comments: